Tabs of my life

Followers

Translate

Sunday, July 8, 2018

We Reflect One Another

Who are you? Who am I? Have you ever stared at the mirror and asked yourself such questions? I have, many times. It is a very liberating part of life when you accept and realize your true self. And, the beauty of it all is that every single person that has crossed your path has contributed to who you are.

Of course, our parents are the main contributors to our composition and many of our mannerisms for the majority of us. Therefore, I will not mention much about them besides that they have definitely taught me how to endure and overcome any obstacle that may come my way. It is kind of their obligation, right.

On the other hand, I have friends, educators, even strangers who have influenced my life in a very significant way. It is important to value those who cross your destiny because you never know when you might need them or who might be watching you.

Loyal regardless of distance
I must say that my best friend has been in my life for more than ten years now. Even though I moved away, the loyalty remained. I was able to be true and honest and knew my secrets were well kept. Especially, since my best friends forgets everything I say. We have grown into adults with separate lives, but I might say that I can always count on Chris to be on my side. I learned how to be loyal even if I am not around. I learned how to value those I have even if they are not around. Our childhood, I must say was one full of laughs and silly jokes. We swore we would never be like our teachers, and the irony of life is that we became them.

The torch has been passed on
The educators in my life have definitely made a permanent impact in many aspects of who I am. I could tell you about every single teacher I have had since Pre-K; how could I possibly forget those who have guided me through this journey. I will not mention them all but just a few. Mrs. Graham was my third grade teacher, and she made learning fun. Literally! She taught us the important things while having fun; she used to do cartwheels with us and sing along during show-and-tell. And, now I incorporate the same method when I teach my kids. My fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Barton was very caring when it came to all her students. So much so, that when my mother became ill, she said she would adopt me! I learned to always care and listen to those around me. Now, my seventh and eighth grade teacher, Mrs. Hundl had her hands full with my rebellious soul. I thought I was cool and was going through a lot of stress, so I did not always listen. On the very first exam, I was the only one to score perfectly, and I did not do so after that. I was too cool to learn math. However, she never gave up one me.  She knew I had a brain which I was not using at its full potential; even dared to tell me that I was going to be like her when I grew up. And, like 8 years later, I have become like her. I even have a pencil pouch. I learned to not be ashamed of who I am, even if I am a little nerdy. Mrs. Hundl is one of the coolest individuals I know; she knows algebra without using a calculator. So many would kill for that talent. In high school, I had many great teachers and have learned something from each one of them but due to space I will only mention a couple. Mrs. Ruben is one, if not, the greatest minds I have encountered. She taught me to be confident in my writing and the essence of who I am. Writing has always been something personal to me, and as a result, I do not always share it especially since not many understand the depth of my thoughts. However, she was the example of excellence. I learned to embrace my abilities even if others are unable to comprehend. God made me a certain way in order to fulfill the path He has laid out specifically for me. And, Mrs. Giron was dressed in strength and brains. She was not one of my teacher but she was one of my guides. I learned how to manage all the areas of my life by her example. She was relentless in all her pursuits, unapologetic about her intellect or her essence, and overall, very humble and full of faith. It encouraged me to be comfortable and confident in who I am as a person. Because of my educators, I am able to continue in battle even if I lose my sword. I have been giving resources and the strength to keep going. And now, the torch has been passed on to me.

I watched, now I am being watched
Lastly, I would like to mention my God-sisters. Even though I was a little girl and did not spend a lot of time with them all, I did watch them. The passion I have when it comes to Jesus, was implanted by the passion I saw in my God-sisters. I had the greatest examples of love and faith. The way they worshipped the Lord with their singing, their joy, their faith, and their kindness was encouraging and has stayed with me until this very day. I had the honor to be witness to Eunise’s wedding and she sheltered my family from one of the hurricanes years ago. Angie made it to my graduation before my parents even got there. And, Toni! I have shared a lot with that girl. We have had some crazy conversations and have laughed our butts off. We still need to perform the song we had been practicing. Little do they know the impact they had in my life.

These are just a few people who have influenced who I am today. God’s plan is perfect. Every single person who has crossed my path has made a difference in me. Trust and know that God has already made a way for you. We are part of the people we encounter, just like Jesus is part of who we are.

Now tell me, who are you?


2 comments:

  1. Sahara, you make me so proud! I remember telling you years ago when you spoke in the 8th grade History Day presentation that you had a future in public speaking. It is so exciting to see that prediction developing into reality. Though it be by the written word instead of the spoken word, I am proud to say “I know this woman!” Stay strong and always follow your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Thank you so much!! I am working myself up to the public speaking, must overcome some fears first!

      Delete