Tabs of my life

Followers

Translate

Friday, July 13, 2018

Anxiety: How I Overcome It

Life can be like a dark cave; lonely, cold, and hopeless. A cave so spacious yet not enough oxygen for my lungs. Engulfed by fear until it suffocates every ounce of insanity. The feeling creeps into every living cell and turns your own being against you in battle. When you experience anxiety the whole world caves; it drowns you. I have suffered from anxiety since I was in intermediate school. Very few people knew especially since abnormalities of any sort are used for ridicule. The older I became, the more I learned how to control it. As a disclaimer, I am not a physician or professional therapist; therefore, the following are methods I have discovered to work for me.

Let go!
My toughest challenge has always been control. I must be in control at all times, which is not an ideal quality if you have anxiety. Slowly, I have let go of the reigns. Scheduling every aspect of my day or activities are no longer being practiced. I learned to accept failure as growth rather than a complete stop. And, being spontaneous is an essential part of my life now. Know that God is in control! I keep mentioning that I had plans from A to Z and every single one failed, not because I am inadequate but because those were not the roads for me. We all have a specific path to walk in order to fulfill a destiny and a purpose.Therefore, loosen up a bit and let go and learn to soar like the Eagle. Control what is in reach and fly with the wind on the rest.

Learn to smell life
The stench of death is penetrating to the soul; an unforgettable scent. Unfortunately, we tend to remember all the horrid instead of the beautiful. I had to learn to stop and smell life. You discover the sweet scent of the roses, the pines, the barbeques, the sea, the rain, and and the sweet aroma of life itself. Do not allow time to outtick you. Live in the moment. Live as the big hand, the one that sits and enjoys every second. Juggling school, family, church, relationships, kids (for those who have them), and yourself is and can be overwhelming. During any time of your routine, remember to stop, take a breath, and smell life.

Break a little sweat 
This one method is the most common but effective. Implementing daily workouts is important to maintain a healthy body. Gain control of your body; do not let it control you. When you suffer from anxiety, often times, your body attacks itself causing the inception of many illnesses. Taking a walk, going for a hike, or even a jog has helped maintain low stress levels. Stress will always be part of life but we must learn to manage. I am not a professional trainer or even really good at working out, but it is part of my daily routine. At least, I try.

Tell your story
Conversation is an art. My favorite kind of art to be honest. The immature Sahara would think that telling someone about my feelings was impossible because surely they would not understand, but I was wrong. Now at the age of twenty-three, I have realized that sharing your story has more power than burying it with silence. When you share your journey you heal yourself and the one listening. Words bandage our heart. We are not alone in our pains and struggles. The person sitting next to you, the one walking by your side, the one you bump into at the grocery store, or even the one you have known since childhood shares some of the very same difficulties or struggles you have or currently experience. Speak up and tell your story; for it has power!

A dose of Jesus
And most importantly, having the love and compassion and mercy of Jesus in your life makes all the difference. Pray wholeheartedly, read the bible daily, worship with all your strength, and fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ. God will take care of all that is in your heart. He can heal your soul. There is power in the name of Jesus. Take care of your spirit and be watchful of what you allow in your heart.

In this past year, I have committed to all of these methods and I have been better than ever! Before I used to have panic and anxiety attacks every week, and now, I have had one in the past year. Hallelujah!

We worry so much about being trapped in a cave that we forget to follow the light; we forget that there is a way out.

I got out and so can you!


So, what is your story?



2 comments:

  1. Sahara,thank you for sharing your story. You are a beautiful writer and I appreciate your vulnerability and your strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I beleive we should share our stories; we all fight a battle on the same grounds.

      Delete