Tabs of my life

Followers

Translate

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Can You Survive?

Are you able to survive a zombie apocalypse? Would you run? Would you fight? Would you hide? Would you just give up and become one of them?

Hmmmm…….

Little do you know that majority of us are zombies. Obviously not the kind that eat brains for survival, but the kind that have sacrificed brains for the prosperity of the future. You see, college literally drains your living soul. Do not get me wrong, it is the best season of life, but it is also the worst.

No one warns you about the monster you encounter in college. The aesthetic view of college is deceiving; the fun, all the free time, true independence and freedom, along with almost guaranteed success. Wooahh! I was ready! High school was a breeze for me, and I was positive I could handle anything and everything; I have a gamma brain.

Ooohhh, but I was in it for a rude awakening!

The first lesson I learned was that life happens and it happens at any time. Because I knew failure was a possibility, I prepared an A through Z life plan. I ensured that I would make it to the top regardless of any obstacle. Houston Baptist University accepted little ole me; I was even part of the Honors College which is awesome by the way. A new thrilling and nerve-wracking experience, I could not wait for it to unravel. Well, during the same time my family went through a midlife crisis. My father had a meltdown and was unable to handle the stress, as a consequence, he left with the excuse that he did not ask for all this. At the time, I was only eighteen, full of hope and dreams, until I realized that as the oldest sibling I was now responsible for the family. The stress, the anxiety, and the burdens crept in quite chaotically all at once. I worked three jobs to sustain our needs and my tuition. It was not easy especially since my overachieving ego challenged my intellect with seventeen credit hours and three jobs. How did I manage?? By crying a lot. I cried an ocean. Adulthood rushed in like a tsunami.

I must admit that the friends I gained were the greatest support. They were spiritually prescribed by God. Just like I did, you will realize that college is better lived in a group than in solitude. Life will happen all at once, but it happens to us all, not just you. On the very first day, I met my good friend Natalie. We literally clicked and became friends, inseparable really. Later on, I met Madison (the sweetest girl ever), Erica (the funniest person you can ever meet), Kristen ( so smart and unique), Kate ( a talented genius), Alanna (an artist at heart and witty), Carlos ( always positive and fashionable), amongst so many others. Even though we do not keep in communication on the daily, we still look out for one another. You will discover that the differences and “flaws” that exist in each one of us is what creates the most beautiful piece of art. You will also realize that everyone has a story. Everyone has a struggle. Everyone has a talent. Everyone has good and bad days. Everyone fails at times, but they get back up and continue in battle. The amazing part is that I was not alone. I had them.

College is not a breeze. It will require a lot of hours. You will be sleep deprived, might even sleepwalk. Do not be surprised when you do not seem yourself. If you stay on campus, then enjoy everything it has to offer. If you are like me, a commuter, make sure you make time to socialize and partake in college activities. You will not regret it! Manage your time wisely and accept advice from others. Congratulations in advance if you graduate within the four years. If you do not, it is okay. You have time to complete it. Personally, I was unable to finish within athe four years due to finances and life happening, but I am in the processes of completing my degree; less than two years left. Regardless of the situation, it is never too late and you are never too old to make your dreams come true.

Lastly, keep God as the center of your life. I mentioned I had a plan from A to Z, well they all failed! Seriously. I will tell you later about that story. Jeremiah 29:11 states that God will not harm you but prosper you and give you hope and a good life. We must listen to His instruction.

I do not regret anything. I appreciate the hardship because I grew as a warrior in this life. The journey I have been on has brought me to the place I ought to be; a place of peace, happiness, prosperity, and love. My family is reunited and I met my significant other and everything is falling in place. I thank Jesus every day for all I have experienced!

No one ever tells you! But you will become a zombie just like us all! Your brain is fried and wired to live off no sleep and barely enough food.

Can you survive the journey?

Good Luck!!!
Remember, the world is in your hands.




33 comments:

  1. "College literally drains your living soul" - PREACCHHHH LOL <3. Nice post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Someone has to talk about the ugly side. lol!

      Delete
  2. Good Story! Thanks for sharing That!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the metaphors going on between being zombies and college. However, you might become less of a zombie after college. Good luck though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely took me back to my college days- hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were one of the best days. I sure will! Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Such a nice and light way of comparing the good and bad of life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I attempted to make a decent comparison.

      Delete
  6. awesome story, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beat of luck finishing your degree

    ReplyDelete
  8. College can make you a zombie there's a of stress and fun! Weee I miss my college days Lol! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. A lot of stress but very worth it! Those were the best days.

      Delete
  9. The education system sucks & the colleges too. Well, this is a great story. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur on that point. The education system is fractured. The value only increaes due to the monetary increase. It is in need of a change.

      Delete
  10. This was such a lovely read. You raised some nice points.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you manage to write so well. It's so good to know somebody's take about things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck finishing your degree. :) There is nothing hardwork wont overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finding the positives while your in the "storm" can be difficult. However, you're on the right track to feel the "sunshine"! Goodluck! -Carlos I.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have to say that I've been a zombie since I had my first baby. I can't remember when I had a really solid night of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed reading! Thanks for sharing a refreshing post. Best.. Backpacking Series

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading this post. Best of luck to you as you endeavor this life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hardwork and preserverence seem to be the keys for completing your degree- you got this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha! I related to this post on a whole different level! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This brought back all kinds of memory. Thanks for the wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  20. good read. i cant help reminiscing my college days

    ReplyDelete
  21. College is the worst. But what makes it interesting the amount of self-discovery we experience and also the friends we meet

    ReplyDelete
  22. " I worked three jobs to sustain our needs and my tuition", I can relate. When life set in you are in a big shock.

    ReplyDelete
  23. College life is one of the fantastic era I had. Ah I love it!

    ReplyDelete